Travel diaries - Varkala

5:36 AM Unknown 1 Comments


I have been thinking of writing about the weekend travels since a long time. I don't travel frequently but whenever I do I feel I should share this with someone so that they wont miss out these places. I have a bunch of such places and pictures with me. Today I have to write about this one place I never get tired of ...Varkala.


Varkala is a coastal town in Kerala, India and almost 50 kms away from Trivandrum. The best part of this beach side is that it has a cliff adjacent to Arabian sea which is unique considering the geographical feature of other Kerala beaches.




I have been to this place 4-5 times and every time I visit it is new, fresh and a place I lost myself to. So when I/we go, we drive my vespa all the way from where I stay till the cliff which is like 35-40 kms. We usually start by evening, ditching the sun and also enjoying the windy ride and local coffee stop bys.





I never had a nice camera whenever I was at this place - well I still don't own a nice one, but now I have someone from whom I can rent it with no paybacks :) . So the pics are not that great. But this place is worth watch. And there are a lot of nice resorts on the cliff which are affordable by everyone. Whenever we go we stay at Clafouti Beach Resort. We love these place, as its safe and have a nice traditional heritage touch to their cottages and the staff are friendly.  Well, the part I love the most about staying there is to chill by the sea side cliff, watching the fishing boats sailing away to the horizon, drinking chilled beer with the delicious wood oven pizza and reading your type of literature. You don't have to carry your kindle all the time as most of the shops sells or even rents books. And at night if you want to shake your leg to a Hollywood number in amazing laser lights and a small group of foreigners, just head to 'Rock & Roll' cafe on the cliff.

Oh how can I not mention about the most delicious sea food...well, you know.. Its a coastal town in Kerala, You cant get fish better than this from anywhere else. Trust me.



Besides the cliff and the calm and quiet beach just down the cliff, there are few more places in and around Varkala which you can explore like Anjengo fort and light house, Kappil beach, Sivagiri temple, Edava lake etc. If you are heading to Varkala during on-season which is from  October to March you can also find some fun activities like paragliding and speed boating. Also, while you are there get an Ayurvedic spa and massage.





But I love to be there during the monsoon. The rain drenched and less crowded Varkala is indeed a beautiful art in the God's on Country.




I know this post is a bit formal and doesn't sound like me. The main reason is that I wrote it sometime and kept in my draft for a long time and I don't have the patience to go through this again and rewrite. So guys pls bare with me this time.
The pics above are from our last visit. I have more pics from this place. Will post some other time :)

1 comment:

  1. Book Mumbai to Goa Cabs Online at cabs2go Car Rentals. Trust cabs2go for the Best mumbai to goa taxi Services.
    Book Mumbai to Goa Cabs Online at cabs2go Car Rentals. Trust cabs2go for the Best mumbai to goa taxi Services.

    ReplyDelete